Tuesday, March 28, 2006

 

Blowing up like Northside in July

It was a great weekend! As I stated in an earlier post waves were on the way and we got some fun ones on Sunday. Sunday morning I got up early to get ready for Church. The winds were looking good and the buoy readings were promising. I attended Church and our ten/10 classes. (Sidenote: Dr. Harold Ivan Smith spoke about being in a "strangeland" and feeling lost with were you are in life. His presentation and illustrations hit me square in the chest like nothing I have heard in a very long time. Needless to say I am extreemly grateful that I got to hear that message.) Anyway, after all of that I headed home, grabbed my stuff and took off to the beach. One of the telltale signs that you look for when arriving at the Indian River Inlet is how many cars are in the parking lot (this applies to winter only). As I pulled up I saw no one. I assumed this meant that the waves were not any good. I was wrong. The waves were quit good and I surfed for about two hours completely by myself before anyone else showed up. Slowly one by one a fewguys eventually paddled out in the deteriorating conditions and then at one point the whole zoo showed up at once. No problem I was happy with the waves that I got.
As always it was great to surf with Chuck White, Joel Tice, Colin Hurlihey, Flaco, Andrew McBride and a few other guys that have been there for years.


Colin makes eveerything look easy weather he is surfing or bodyboarding.












Joel botom turing into a pretty solid springtime slab.












Jeremy logging some solid greenroom time at a place that has no shortage of vacancies. (How is that for a catchy caption!)











Me with a big bottom turn and an even bigger hood. (That thing is huge!)












I can't wait for the next swell as I continue to strengthen my knee, try to get back to normal and improve my riding.
All pics courtesy of SC @ surfingoc.com.

Comments:
Wow, those are big waves. Make sure to be careful when surfing such large waves. Ever thought of an inflatable life jacket just to be safe?
 
Or floatie wings, that would be even more impressive. I wonder, if your floaties were big enough, and you filled them with helium, could you get air? (Or whatever the surfing equivalent of snowboarder's air is.)

I think this needs to be tested.
 
The helium filled, giant swimies (sp?) are a brilliant idea. You may have singlehandedly changed the face of the sport. I hope you don't mind if I get all of the credit for this idea when pictures of 20 foot airs are captured of me with my neon green arm floaties.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?